On behalf of the Bobby Jones Golf Course and our staff, we have engaged in careful thought about the best way to support the health and wellness of our community during this COVID-19 crisis. Because the golf course is owned by the State, we have been in regular communication with State officials. Our objectives during this unprecedented time have been to support those who want to get outside for a sense of normalcy while implementing safety precautions that have been developed across the golf industry.
We wanted to reach out to you proactively to let you know what we are doing from an operational perspective during this current health crisis. And we hope you will consider sharing this information with your community members who may have interest. We know some of you may have concerns about how we are promoting safety, and we wanted to share a number of measures we have implemented over the past three weeks.
1. We have closed our pro shop and discontinued food and beverage sales.
2. All golf check-ins are handled electronically or over the phone with no personal contact or exchanges of cash or credit cards.
3. Starting April 1, we will be walking-only.
4. Driving range stations have been increased to 15 foot spacing.
5. Golf cups on the greens are installed upside down so golfers don’t have to reach into the hole to retrieve the ball.
6. We are cleaning range balls, range ball baskets, and other possible touch points regularly with disinfecting solutions and wipes. We've removed bunker rakes and water coolers from the course.
7. We’re reminding and encouraging everyone to use social distancing while playing or practicing.
Golf is very conducive to social distancing given the acreage involved. We inform our golfers about the measures we have taken and our recommendations for how to stay safe. We have received a number of thanks from individuals who want to get out on the golf course for both mental and physical relief during these trying times, and we believe it is equally important for those of you who do not play to understand how we are able to do so in a responsible manner.
Golf has been recognized by various governmental bodies across the country as an activity that is appropriate during this health crisis, and we want to be able to continue to make golf available as an option just as sidewalks and parks are being utilized today.
The letter above is attached in pdf format for ease of forwarding to your neighbors. We encourage you to visit our website at www.bobbyjonesgc.com for additional information and updates. As always, please email or call me back with any questions. In the meantime, we hope and pray that you and your families stay safe and healthy.